Post Admission

Stuck on what do to after receiving your acceptance letter?

Applying for a Student Visa

Italian Embassies or Consulate-General offices in your home country issue student visas in Italy. Students from the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) can enter Italy with a valid passport or EU ID card and stay for the duration of their study without a visa. EU students, on the other hand, must register at their local Questura station (police station) upon arrival in order to receive a residence permit if their study program is longer than three months.

If you’re a non-EU student, you’ll need to apply for a student visa before coming to Italy

Non-EU Students Guide to a Student Visa

Start the process well in advance (at least 3 months) of your desired date of entrance to Italy. Processing times might be considerable (1-3 weeks on average). As soon as you obtain a letter of admission from your medical school, contact your nearest Italian embassy or consulate to schedule a visa appointment, as appointments are usually limited. Keep in mind, the procedures for applying for Italian student visas are subject to change, it’s always a good idea to check with the Italian Embassy for the most up-to-date information.

Documents required:

As part of their application for a student visa to study in Italy, students may be required to submit any or all of the following documents:

  • A valid passport with at least two blank visa pages.

  • The letter of acceptance from your medical school.

  • A completed visa application form.

  • Proof of language proficiency depending on the language of your study program.

  • Proof of adequate financial means to support yourself (usually parents bank statement / around 500€ per month).

  • Proof of accommodation in Italy.

  • Proof of health insurance in Italy.

  • Police clearance certificate.

As you will be entering Italy on a type D visa (long stay), you must also apply for a residency permit within eight days of your arrival. 

Applying for a Residency Permit

You can pick up an application form for the Residency Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) at most Italian post offices named Poste Italiane (which is the national mail service corporation, similar to the USPS in the US or Royal Mail in the UK). “Kit per la richiesta di Permesso di Soggiorno” is the official name of the Permesso di Soggiorno application form.

Documents required:

         Attach the following documents to your KIT application:

  1. Stamp (Marca da Bollo) valued at 16,00€ which you can purchase at Tobacco shops (Tabaccaio).

  2. Passport: photocopy of the pages with your personal data and of the entry visa.

  3. Tax code number (Codice Fiscale, see below on how to request it).

  4. Document of the Italian Embassy of your country, issued when your Study Visa was released.

  5. Acceptance letter from your medical school.

  6. Evidence of adequate economic resources for living: minimum 6.000€.

  7. Report of movements and updated balance of your current account (account has to be in Euros even if foreign).

  8. Health insurance (private or SSN) valid for at least a calendar year.

  9. Pay the Permesso di Soggiorno application fee and Post Office service when submitting the kit (100.46€).

Following the submission of the Kit, the Poste Italiane agent will make an appointment for you to attend to the appropriate Police Station (Questura) to have your fingerprints scanned and will hand you your receipt of the post payment slipWith the Postal receipt (ricevuta) you have been given, you are allowed to travel outside the Schengen area, however travelling within the Schengen area is only possible only if your VISA is still valid.

You must bring all originals of the papers you provided with the KIT, as well as two passport-size pictures, to your appointment along with an exam certificate if you have passed any exams since sending the KIT

Applying for a Tax Code

The Italian Tax Code is an alphanumeric code that allows authorities in Italy to identify each individual which you’ll need for a variety of things, including signing a rental contract, registering at the Registry Office (Ufficio Anagrafe), and enrolling with the National Healthcare Service (SSN).

You can apply for it at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your native country if you are still there. If you are already in Italy, you must contact Agenzia delle Entrate (Revenue Agency).

Applying for Italy’s National Health System (SSN)

In 1978, the national health service (SSN) was founded to provide tax-subsidized health care through a public-private partnership valid for a calendar year (from the 1st January to the 31st of December) and is available to both Italian citizens and foreign residents. In order to apply, you need to pay the registration fee of 149,77€ at any Post Office (Poste Italiane) then head to your local ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) Office with the documents below.

Documents required:

         Bring the following documents for your SSN application:

  1. Permesso di soggiorno (or the proof that you have applied and are waiting for the card) / Proof of residency (if you are an EU citizen), you need to bring your attesta di residenza from the comune.

  2. Your Tax code number (Codice Fiscale).

  3. Proof of identity (Passport or ID).

  4. Housing contract.

  5. University Enrollment Certificate.

  6. Proof of payment.

  7. Photo copies of everything mentioned above.

Following your registeration at the ASL, you will be asked who you want to be your medica di base (a general practitioner in their neighborhood). If you don’t have one, they’ll find one for you, but it’s always good to ask around to see if any doctors come highly recommended.

Back to Knowledgebase
Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google